Wheeled Material Handler Personal Simulator
Simlog's new Wheeled Material Handler Personal Simulator puts you at the controls of a typical wheeled material handler equipped with an articulated boom, four-tine grapple, elevating cab, and outriggers.
Many different kinds of situations typical of (metal) scrap recycling yards are presented, in order to address the training needs of a wide variety of customers using different operational practices.
Simply set up the simulator controls (see below for details), install the simulation software in English or French (Spanish coming soon) on your desktop or laptop PC, and begin.
Add a big screen display for "life size" graphics, and quality speakers for the audio feedback. Simlog even offers a vibration system to enhance the simulation experience. There are setup options to suit most every budget.
There are five "Simulation Modules" of increasing difficulty, as follows:
- Controls Familiarization
- Line Following places the focus on upper-carriage control, to have the (empty) grapple move in simple straight lines from side-to-side or in-and-out.
- Grapple Positioning adds under-carriage control (driving) in the presence of obstacles, to position and orient the grapple with respect to a target.
- Container Loading 1 presents work specific to (metal) scrap recycling. Here there are scrap objects of different kinds in a stockpile to be loaded into a nearby container on the ground.
- For Container Loading 2, the container is instead truck-mounted, making the work more difficult.
Key "Performance Indicators" measure how quickly and how carefully the simulated work is performed. With more than 30 Performance Indicators in all, feedback is diagnostic, instead of just a consolidated pass/fail score. They include execution time, productivity, grapple height and angle when driving, cabin elevation when driving and when handling material, and counting many kinds of collisions (grapple, ground, undercarriage, etc.).
A variety of incorrect operating conditions will trigger "Procedure Errors", such as driving "out of bounds". Finally, conditions related to safety receive special attention: causing the wheeled material handler or a container to overturn, will trigger a "Fatal Error" and the simulation immediately stops.
Simulation results are automatically saved, along with the occurrence of any "Procedure Error" or "Fatal Error", so trainees can progress at their own pace without trainer supervision. To simplify the record keeping, Simlog offers a database product called Simulation Manager, and the same database can be used with all of our Personal Simulators.
Three kinds of USB-ready simulator controls and mounting configurations, are available:
- Replica Controls, featuring industrial strength components, suitable for table-top mounting or Operator Chair, to obtain a superior simulation experience
- PC Controls, consisting of low cost off-the-shelf input devices